Wednesday, April 19, 2017

Do you have the skills to spot fake news?

Read: http://www.businessinsider.com/facebook-how-to-spot-fake-news-2017-4

Facebook recently added a temporary feature to help their users spot fake news. This was a response to the fake news "phenomenon" that has taken off on all social media platforms. People read, share and believe whatever they see online and run with the story. In our discussion last night, we all agreed on how the social media has added to the formation of information bubbles, and has aggravated the polarization of the US (and rest of the world).

Here is a snapshot of Facebook's guidelines for how to spot fake news.

facebook fake news help center tips false





















Were you already practicing these things? Was there something new that you never considered when reading a story online? Do you see this approach as a sustainable way to eliminate or keep this phenomenon at a minimum? What alternative solutions would you suggest to social media companies?


7 comments:

  1. I would say I usually stick to familiar sources I know so some of these I do automatically but in regards to the entire list this is pretty extensive. I'm not sure if this is sustainable as we know most people typically stick to popular stories so what happens to the stories that are unseen? I think Facebook will have to develop an algorithm to filter out these stories, which I think they are very capable of.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I agree with Chris, I normally go with the familiar sources. And I also read news only through major media press. But I do think Facebook, twitter and other social medias need to improve their filter system, like to add some extra authentication process for people who attempt to publish/release/upload news?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I personally have a few go to sites that I know are very reliable but I agree with 朱竞璨, I think social media needs to do a better job filtering out some of the "fake news".

    ReplyDelete
  4. I second what Brandon said, just try to stick to what I know for sure is reliable. I also like to think I have a decent eye for spotting fake news! But I'm probably over-estimating my abilities

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with these valid points, secondarily, do you think there should be a way to prevent being in a media bubble, actively trying to get a multi perspective view?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I generally stick to trusted sources. I guess I don't usually read articles that show up on my timeline, but that could be a good thing and a bad thing. Hopefully people will take these steps and it'll be easier to distinguish between what's true and what's not. But I also think that sometimes people choose to believe certain things simply because they confirm a belief or rhetoric which they subscribe to. So I really think it'll be up to the individual to make an effort to seek out the truth for themselves.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Twitter definitely also has an problem with fake news so I hope Twitter makes it easier to identify fake news as well. In how to deal with fake news, I'm on the same page as Shanice, I also stick to a couple trusted sources.

    ReplyDelete