Thursday, May 2, 2013

You must read this!!!

This is a fascinating piece on "what we know" about current events. 


The realization that the world is often quite different from what is presented in our leading newspapers and magazines is not an easy conclusion for most educated Americans to accept, or at least that was true in my own case. For decades, I have closely read the New York Times, the Wall Street Journal, and one or two other major newspapers every morning, supplemented by a wide variety of weekly or monthly opinion magazines. Their biases in certain areas had always been apparent to me. But I felt confident that by comparing and contrasting the claims of these different publications and applying some common sense, I could obtain a reasonably accurate version of reality. I was mistaken.
Aside from the evidence of our own senses, almost everything we know about the past or the news of today comes from bits of ink on paper or colored pixels on a screen, and fortunately over the last decade or two the growth of the Internet has vastly widened the range of information available to us in that latter category.
Our American Pravda | The American Conservative

2 comments:

  1. I think it is crazy how much the media in America can shut the minds off of Americans. People believe in the news and that their obligations are to report the news, but that's not really the case all the time. There are still political ties here. There are so many operations going on throughout history through South America and other places in the world that we don't teach in history class. Most people don't bother to learn outside of the US news reports. I know my host mom told me about when we bombed towns in Panama looking for I think Noriega, the dictator who stopped supporting US. We bombed a small town in the night on suspicion and killed 5,000 innocent Panamanians and nothing was ever reported really.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Conspiracy theorist are looking a lot more sane then they used to be

    ReplyDelete