Monday, May 30, 2016

EHRs are ruining the physician-patient relationship

Article from Medical Economics

As you probably know by now, I wrote my SIP about electronic medical records. I am super interested in the intersection of medical technology and the economy. EMR systems supposedly have the capability to save the federal government billions of dollars while simultaneously improving the quality of health care.


"The EHR has changed the physician-patient encounter—it has become the physician-EHR-patient encounter (PEP). The EHR may seem to improve the business of medicine, but what is its role in the caring for the patient?"

Have you personally had a particularly positive or negative experience with electronic health/medical records?

Would a health care system that was more automated be better for public health?


3 comments:

  1. I think EHR are beneficial because of the speed and ease at which a doctor can pull up medical records. I recently went in to the doctor to ask him about some hip problems I've been having while exercising, and within seconds he was able to pull up all of my past medical information and scroll through all my past physicals to see if he had missed something concerning my hip. It helped him rule out past injury as the problem and led to a quicker diagnoses in my opinion. I felt engaged the whole time and didn't think he was ignoring me or neglecting me by using the computer. Perhaps this is a millennial thing, because we're so used to everyone using their phones and such all the time that we don't get offended. But maybe older generations would see it as being rude or being ignored.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Lucas I think that overall EHRs are beneficial and increase the productivity of physicians immensely. While there may less one on one attention I think physicians have been trained well enough to give patients the attention they need while also expediting the process using the EHRs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Lucas I think that overall EHRs are beneficial and increase the productivity of physicians immensely. While there may less one on one attention I think physicians have been trained well enough to give patients the attention they need while also expediting the process using the EHRs.

    ReplyDelete