Saturday, April 9, 2016

Job Market


Here's a couple of articles discussing the current job market in the US.

 NY Times Washington Post

What are your thoughts on the job market? As a senior on track to graduate, are you feeling confident that you'll be able to find a job in your field? Has your confidence in the job market changed over the past couple of years?

Also, take a look at the infographic titled "Job Success, By Major" in the NYT article. You'll notice economics majors are doing fairly well, around the top third of the majors listed, but not quite as well as nursing or engineering majors. Why do you think Econ majors are where they are on the list?

I'm interested to hear everyone's thoughts, since many of us have been (or still are) job searching in the past few months.

2 comments:

  1. Oh man, the job search! I'm still throwing resumes at the wall to see what sticks, though I'm not too concerned about finding a profession that fits my degree. Job searching isn't normally done in a few weeks, but instead can usually take a few months or more. Despite being an arduous task, I'm confident that I'll find something viable post-graduation. I'm not sure why Econ majors are slightly higher than the national average, but I guess it may have to do with the general perception that the economy is better now? I think an important aspect of the job market struggles people don't often look at is the labor force participation rate, which has been falling slowly, but consistantly for years now. The measurement of unemployment can come off as skewed once one investigates the types of jobs added to the economy and the size of the workforce.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I strongly believe that whether a person graduating from college gets a job or not will be decided by each one's competitiveness, not by job market performance. It is true that job market's bad performance might raise expected standards of candidates, but it does not mean that none of candidates can get a job.

    I do not lose my confidence, no matter how the job market does.

    ReplyDelete